Saturday, July 5, 2008

Cory Letters - May 5, 1861

Note: Kalorama Hospital received all contagious disease cases in Washington such as smallpox, mumps, measles, typhoid and erysipelas. The cases were sent to Kalorama so as not to endanger more populous neighborhoods in the city. Formerly the mansion of a man named Fletcher, it rested on 100 wooded acres on Kalorama Heights on 21st Street NW. A Fred Myers served as a private in Company B, 6th US Cavalry, but since James only mentions him at this hospital he could be from any unit.



Kalorama Eruptive Fever
Hospital, May 5th 1861

Dear Mother,

Today I was more successfull than Saturday. I got my pay after going up in his office the second time. I went up to see fred myer & he told me to give them a Real King Nr that made me mispent & saucy. I hope that you will get it soon for I know that you need it. I mailed $25.00 or rather sent by Adams Express. I sent you a letter Saturday. When you direct your letters don’t put the Regt.

A young fellow that enlisted in Adrian is in a Hospital in the city. He will get his discharge I guess. The discharge a great many. If they come a round this way mabe they will throw me out. I ame very tired & cant think of anything to write. Write soon. Love to all. Yours & Co. J.H. Cory

Mrs. B.M. Cory

No comments: