Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Christmas in April

It's been a very good couple of days for new books and resources around here, so much so it seems like the holidays. Four of my recent book orders (Sherman's Horsemen, Glory Enough For All, The Civil War Papers of George B. McClellan and The Cavalry at Appomattox) all showed up day before yesterday, courtesy of the postal service. Another delivery from my researcher at USAMHI at Carlisle arrived yesterday, including a couple of interesting first person accounts.

I was fortunate enough to find a copy of George Price's Across the Continent With the Fifth Cavalry in a nearby library yesterday, so I have a couple of weeks to see how much information I can wring out of it. I'm finally starting to feel like I'm getting somewhere in gathering sources for this project. Counting Price's work, that gives me regimental histories for the 2nd (2), 4th, 5th and 6th US Cavalry. These and the personal accounts from USAMHI should definitely get me started.

As if this wasn't enough, I discovered the internet whereabouts of George Cullum's Biographical Register of the Officers and Graduates of the United States Military Academy on Brian Downey's blog, who had in turn received it from Harry Smeltzer at Bull Runnings.

Now, if only it was holiday break so I had extra time to read through all of this....

No comments: